Saturday 24 July 2010

DAY 1: Houston, TX – Little Rock, AR

So, Grandma died more than eighteen months ago. But the estate took a while, and I guess it was only at the end of last year that I actually received the legacy she’d left. She’d given us the perfect amount – too much to fritter away, too little to feel I had to invest it or pay off the mortgage. “Do something nice,” my Dad said. “Do something for yourself. Grandma was very fond of you.”

So the seed was sown – Grandma was phenomenally supportive about our move to the US, though I knew she was sad to see me go (and especially to say goodbye to her great-grandkids, with whom she was so indulgent it made my Dad and Uncle goggle). How better to spend her gift than on the trip of a lifetime – seeing a huge chunk of this enormous country we now call home.

It’s always struck me as unfair that I spend my year travelling around the country when I’m the one who’s seen a lot of it before. When we first came to Houston, Mike had seen no more of the States than the boys had; I had two branches of family over here, and had visited on several occasions both with parents and independently. We managed a weekend in Manhattan as a family earlier this year, but the rest of the country is still a book to be read; a road to be travelled.

Today the travel started. We are, basically, driving to Boston, and then back again. The plan is 18 states (plus DC), 4200 miles and 24 days. As well as parks, landmarks and museums, there’s some opera thrown in (when isn’t there?), and a visit with family, and a big, serendipitous goodbye. I can’t promise I’ll write every night, but I’ll try.

Today’s statistics:

  • Started driving: 11.39
  • Finished driving: 21.22
  • Miles: 439
  • States: 2
  • State license plates seen: 20 (including Alaska – an audacious start)
  • Favourite place-name: Uncertain, TX
  • Back-seat vomits: 1
  • Rooms turned down at motel because of bugs / dirt: 3
  • Lunch: Jack in the Box, Diboll
  • Dinner: Cracker Barrel, Arkadelphia

Today's discoveries:
  • This isn’t going to be a gastronomic trip.
  • We should have bought two copies of New Super Mario Bros.
  • Family Dollar is a great store for cleaning supplies.
  • The boys don’t like dumplings.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is brilliant. Yay blogging! Yay literacy! Yay Cannings and yay Muriel! and YAY SERENDIPITY!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip!!
    How's the neck?

    ReplyDelete