Wednesday 28 July 2010

Day 5: Roanoke VA - Gettysburg PA

So today the panic set in. I could spend a week in any of the places which, several months ago, looked a sensible distance apart on the map. I could spend a fortnight in some of the places in between. The kids have adjusted to the new time zone (hence today's early start), but with three weeks left ahead of us, I fear resorting to early mornings, lunch in the car and post-bedtime arrivals is a dangerous road. I look at the map of Gettysburg and feel like weeping- we have a 5.5 hour journey to Cooperstown tomorrow, yet before we set off I have to nail the Civil War...

I blame Frommer - we're now into guidebook territory, and every page shouts worthy suggestions which won't be fulfilled. The journey is no longer the purpose - we're now pinpointing destinations. We're going through towns rather than round them; going out of our way to see and do Things rather than setting cruise control and Shuffle.

I try to be a glass-half-full sort of woman. And yet travel for me is often about opportunities missed rather than things seen. A beautiful morning at Jefferson's Monticello leaves a yearning to see James Madison's Montpelier, 30 miles up the road. An afternoon spent driving down the Skyline Drive leads to regret I haven't seen it in fall. An evening wandering the streets of Winchester leaves me sad that we drove past Abingdon.

A facebook friend tonight has photos of her "favourite place in the world". Every journey I’ve made seems to have been a taster trip before the real in-depth study. And yet I rarely retrace my steps (Gettysburg is a exception - I stare at the map trying to pinpoint exactly the mound I know I want to see - will I recognize it sixteen years on if we find it?). I could never have a favourite place, as the indulgence of returning might mean a lost chance to go elsewhere. Is this because I've lived on three continents, and am struggling to find that level of knowledge and comfort everywhere I go? Or is it a natural response to encountering something extraordinary by refusing to admit you won't see it again? Do I have a favourite place waiting in every port?

We have four days and three nights in Cooperstown. Maybe that'll help me feel a bit more grounded. We might even do some laundry.

Today’s statistics:

  • Started driving: 8.03
  • Finished driving: 21.36
  • Miles: 312
  • New States: 3
  • New State license plates seen: 1
  • Statues of Presidents seen: 4 (at least)
  • Stuffed animals soaked and scrubbed in the Family Restroom on the Skyline Drive: 3
  • Favourite placename: Funkstown, MD
  • Breakfast: Super 8 motel, Roanoke
  • Lunch: Monticello cafe, Charlottesville
  • Dinner: Union Bar, Winchester

Today’s Discoveries:

  • I would not have made a good Mrs Jefferson. Nothing to do with Sally Hemings, but I would have HIT THE ROOF about having to cut holes in the brand new floor so that his stupid clock would fit into the front room. Honestly.
  • There's more than one Strasburg. The one with the fabled mini-golf is not the one just off the Skyline Drive.
  • You can do four states in 30 minutes on the I-31 between Winchester and Greencastle.
  • It's ok to go to British pubs abroad when you don't live in the UK anymore.

3 comments:

  1. Day 4 again? (is time standing still?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather proves my point, doesn't it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're covering my territory. Even Funkstown. Truly.

    And you know that your glass will always be half full. Even when the rest of ours is empty :)

    Keep rollin' and writin'. Looking forward to catching a glimpse of you in a barn soon.

    ReplyDelete