Tuesday 3 August 2010

Day 10: Cooperstown NY - Lenox MA

To the casual observer, there's no reason why I should like Lenox so much less than I like Cooperstown. The buildings are just as beautiful; the countryside rolls just as effortlessly, the white church spires stand out just as strikingly against the clear blue sky, There's even a charming lake (though it's a little squat). I wondered whether I was just sad to have moved on from somewhere which could become my favourite place, if I didn't watch it too closely.

I think I figured it out as we wandered the streets looking for dinner. There's nothing real about this place. No hordes of families supporting their sons' baseball efforts. No young families at all, really. Cooperstown Main Street hides some cheap souvenir stalls, a CVS and a NY pizza joint behind its clapperboard storefronts. Lenox is all boutiques and antiques. A place where people come to get away from life, not to live it. I'd rather see "My son / daughter / grandson hit a home run in Cooperstown, NY" t-shirts on the pavement any day.


Today’s statistics:

  • Started driving: 11.08
  • Finished driving: 15.35
  • Miles: 131
  • New States: 1
  • Favourite placename: Esperance, NY
  • Hotels stayed at with no wireless: 1
  • Random private dwellings pretending to be B&Bs: 1
  • State parks visited: 1
  • Ludicrous desserts ordered: 3
  • Breakfast: Our apartment
  • Lunch: Black Cat Cafe, Sharon Springs
  • Dinner: Church St Cafe, Lenox
Today’s Discoveries:
  • You're not allowed to pump your own gas in New Hampshire.
  • The Thanksgiving Everyday sandwich trumps all others.
  • It doesn't always matter if a waiter mishears you.
  • I prefer [bark]shire.

No comments:

Post a Comment