Saturday 7 August 2010

Day 15: Boston MA

I've always loved street theatre. As a child, I was always the girl jumping from her seat, arm ramrod straight to the sky the second the v-word was mentioned. I don't remember being chosen very often - but that's probably more a sign of how much I wanted to participate than any statistically proven unfairness.

It's one of the bonding ties between me and William; as a family we naturally divide the other way (Mike/William and me/Chris), but on this point the tables are turned. Chris hides in his father's trousers as the volunteers are rounded up - William sits bolt upright and his attention never wavers. I want him to be picked almost as much as he does. And, actually, he often is, to our mutual delight.

Somewhere along the line I learned that it was cool not to want it so much - that putting oneself forward made one the butt of jokes and potential mockery. I stood back, biting my lip, sitting on my hand.

Maybe that time will come for William, too. Or maybe he'll remember how his Dad did press-ups in public and held Giles the Jester aloft, and maybe he'll learn to toss machetes on a tight-rope to put himself through college. I'd like that.

Today’s statistics:

  • Whales seen: 5
  • Munchkins bought: 50 (this is not a Wizard of Oz reference)
  • Percentage of family taking part in juggling display: 50%
  • Oldest house seen: 330 years old
  • Percentage of Freedom Trail walked: 10% at the most
  • Number of times lied about nationality: 0
  • Breakfast: Dunkin' Donuts, Boston
  • Lunch: Quincy Market, Boston
  • Dinner: Ned Devine Irish Pub, Boston
Today’s Discoveries:
  • William and I can be uncharacteristically awed and thrilled by nature. Chris not so much.
  • The boys haven't inherited my tendency to motion sickness.
  • Chris has a Canning's luck at cards.
  • Some Bostonions should learn about Calcutta if they want to know about a British "massacre". I'm rather sanguine about our colonial history here, just because we were so much worse elsewhere.
  • I am an Aunt! Congratulations Tom and Crystal.

No comments:

Post a Comment